For over 200 years, Delaware has been at the forefront of innovation and discovery-driven by giants in industry like DuPont. Today this legacy continues to be a pioneering force in the growth and prosperity of our diverse range of industries.
Our world-class universities and R&D facilities, forward-thinking industry leaders, and competitive cost of doing business together create a robust and prolific ecosystem that fosters innovation and entrepreneurship.
Science & Technology: Delaware’s STEM-based industries are among the strongest in the nation.
- Ranked 7th in the Milken Institute’s 2018 State Technology and Science Index
- Fourth-highest concentration in the U.S. of PhDs working in health, science and engineering
- Highest concentration of chemical engineers of any state
- Home of Incyte, #7 on the Forbes list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies
Business & Financial Services: Where the world chooses to do business.
- More than one million businesses are incorporated here, including 66% of Fortune 500 companies
- Home to nearly 40,000 financial services jobs
- Financial services accounts for 9% of all jobs in Delaware, the highest share of any state
- Home to financial powerhouses JPMorgan Chase, Capital One, M&T Bank, WSFS Bank and Citibank
Food & Agriculture: A food production powerhouse on the cutting edge of some of the most modern advances in food and agriculture.
- Delaware farms are among the most efficient and productive in the nation
- Ranked second in the U.S. for agricultural value sold per acre
- More than $1 billion in cash receipts from 2,300 farms on 530,000 acres
- 40% of land use devoted to agriculture production
- Leading producers of broiler chickens and lima beans
Manufacturing & Logistics: Ideally situated to build and export innovative solutions worldwide.
- Center of largest consumer market in the U.S.
- More than 50 million people within 250 miles
- Close proximity to major airports with international and domestic cargo capacity
- Major international port four hours from the Atlantic Ocean
- Intermodal transfer points and rail freight facilities throughout the region
Education & Healthcare: World-class universities, researchers and hospitals that drive innovation.
- 100+ colleges and universities within two hours
- State’s largest health system, Christiana Care, is in the top 2% of all U.S. hospitals (Healthgrades)
- State’s largest university, University of Delaware, is a major research and teaching university
- Delaware State University is ranked #5 of America’s Historically Black Colleges & Universities (BestColleges.com)
- Robust network of technical education, including college, vocational high schools, trade schools and certificate programs